Friday, February 02, 2007

Texans and Their Tests

Original Article - Governer propose fund linking to test score

Why create anther test? ... the employer will have a easier time of finding out who to hire and in turn students will know zipping through our K12 system doesn't mean a dime and realize that the real world is out there.
Well. Standardized tests had been tied narrowly to mean multiple choice, which don’t have to, which can simply mean everyone take the same test, whatever form deem appropriate.

That said, I still think multiple choices can measure a lot of things with ease. Does 2+5=4*2-(2-1) measure anything? I think so. People keep talking about bad things about teaching to the test. But I consider that is OK if the test is well designed and I believe tests designed by professional will be better than the one I created for my classes — in the sense that taking all the statistics and level of details into consideration. Let along it will be more effecient than every instrutors create their own.

I understand that at a higher level, there are things that is difficult to measure. But, still, there are way to many instructors grade their students with tests.

Personally, I require my students to show all the steps how they reaches their answer. The purpose is to see at what level they don’t understand. So I can provide better advices. However, the test is NOT a teaching aid. It is time for them to show what they really know. I do use tests that require them to show steps. But the intention is so that I can deduct partial score based on how much they know. If I could design enough multiple choice questions that testing their knowledge level, I would not vote against it.

I think people are jumpping to conclusions here. Plan can be revised and progressive.

=============
People like to focus on standardized testing and my guess is that it is because it's a simple target. But why focus on that?

I don't think Gov. Perry will reject writing test. Didn't ACT and SAT all have them now? Taking one step further, we may be able to have computer simulated test, say, brain surgery via a simulated robot since the day of using surgery robot isn't that far away. I will say this counted as testing skill.

Why create anther test? Well. Just like you can't really count on the quality of our high school graduates. If all HS graduates are taking the test, the employer will have a easier time of finding out who to hire and in turn students will know zipping through our K12 system doesn't mean a dime and realize that the real world is out there. It is a way to motivate our students and have them take up more responsibilities. We can bring hay to the cow but you can't make them eat.

Can value and attitudes be measured? I guess you need first define what is a good attitude.

Since the final value is what employer is looking for, I think it's more realistic to measure the final product instead of the added value. Should employer pay for some of the cost? I think they should. But someone will have to devise the mechanism.

No comments: