Monday, February 01, 2010

Education Directions - US Education Department

Clash Over Student Privacy
Resistance on Debt Proposal

To be finished ...
Given these two instances, I am beginning to question the direction US Education Department is taking.

My major concerns are 1. The dis-regard of law in the privacy case and 2. The dis-regard of the free-market mechanism in the Debt Proposal case.

In the case of privacy, I understand that data is very useful in UNDERSTANDING possible problems in our education system. But trying to ignore the law and forcing forward with rules? Do they really understand the value of having a democratic government?

I am a supporter of accountability. But I simply can't agree with US ED's way of forcing an organization to accept responsibilities that they do not have adequate control. Besides, how does this take into account the responsibility of the students and parents?

No comments: