Friday, April 18, 2008

The Arrival of ‘Merit-Blind Admissions’

Original Article

Summary goes here!

For private institution, I have not much to say. For public institution, we need to have a good debate on what the public really want before we jump into conclusions.

For me, since the public resources is limited, we need spend public's money wisely so that it benefits the society, not the student, the most. So the question becomes how do we know which student will benefit the society and by how much and how can we setup policies that will help us address the problem. The benefit should include preceived social values like promote work ethic and others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do realize that the memo was an April Fool's Day joke, right? If you click on the link in the article on Inside Higher Ed, you'll be redirected to a page wishing everyone a "Happy April Fool's Day."

Duncan said...

Yes. I do.

However, my comment is quite general and I think people really need to pay more attention to where our society is heading to. To me, I think ACT need to do an even better job so that we can better distinguish students.

When colleges have trouble distinguish their applicants, they need work harder to distinguish them. How about we just randomly pick Clinton as the president. Why we have to waste resources to conduct the general election?